1. Tell us something hardly anyone knows about you.
I used to collect earthworms in a jar and name them all, much to my mother’s horror.
2. What is your nickname?
You’d think it was hard to shorten Dani right? Nope, my family and besties are extra lazy and have resorted to plain old Dan!
3. What is your greatest fear?
Being stuck in an elevator without snacks.
4. Describe your writing style in 10 words.
Chaotic mind maps and scribbles that no one can understand, self-doubt and a lot of overthinking.
5. Tell us five positive words that describe you as a writer.
Joyful, silly, fun, thoughtful, unexpected.
6. What book character would you be, and why?
I’m pretty keen to live in that 5000-storey treehouse.
7. If you could time travel, what year would you go to and why?
Take me back to the period of Jane Austen so I can go to balls, wear ridiculous dresses and hang out in someone’s drawing room all day drinking tea and eating scones. Actually it kind of sounds like my weekends anyway.
8. What would your 10-year-old self say to you now?
Don’t show mum those earthworms, she’ll make you set them free.
9. Who is your greatest influence?
My parents, because they have encouraged me to do and be whoever I want; my kids because I always try and make them laugh; and, Oscar Wilde because no one has better quotes than Wilde. No one!
10. What/who made you start writing?
My love of reading! Imagine contributing to the literary world in any way. What a privilege.
11. What is your favourite word and why?
Rambunctious. Because everyone should be a little rambunctious.
12. If you could only read one book for the rest of your life, what would it be?
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. No one needs any other book.
Dani Vee is the author of picture book My EXTRAordinary Mum published by Larrikin House, and 2023 releases Prank Queen and the My EPIC Dad. Dani is host of the popular literary podcast Words and Nerds, where 50,000 people tune every month as she interviews the very best authors and illustrators. For more information, see www.wordsandnerds.com.